Saturday, July 18, 2020

Alexia's 4H Duck Project 2020

I Raise Khaki Campbell Ducks.

4H Project: Exhibit Hall 2020

By Alexia Castonguay


 My ducks are very messy. They tend to spill their water,and they stink!  My ducks are brown and white. I got my ducks as ducklings, though I've always wanted to try hatching eggs.


When they're still ducklings, I keep them inside their house.  To keep them warm, I use a heat lamp. 


I have ten ducks. I hope to have a mix of boys and girls, but we can't yet tell them apart.  I'd like to have a mix of boys and girls because I would like to have duck eggs, and duck meat, and I'm also hoping to keep one male for breeding.


Getting ready for the ducks was hard work.  We had to paint their coop.  The fencing on the door was broken and their outside pen needed repairing as well.  But now that the everything is patched up, the ducks are able to roam around more safely.  

  

My ducks started to grow their feathers around their necks, and now they have fully grown their feathers.  I will miss my tiny fluffy friends.



They follow each other around in big groups and always stay near another duck.  They don't like to be held, but we managed to take a picture of this one holding still.


Farm ducks don't actually need a tub of water to swim in. But if you do, put it in their  coop after they have grown their feathers.  When baby ducks try to swim without a mother there to teach them they can drown because of the weight of their fluff.


Every day they need fresh water.  A slimy substance forms around the ring of their dish, so frequent cleaning is necessary. 


I give my ducks a rubber bowl for their food.  I buy poultry chick crumble for my ducks.  We store our grain in the barn we have been working on.

(Note from Blogger: Angela.  This is Alexia's second year doing 4H.  Last year she did her 4H project on preparing for and raising her 2 Sheep Nala and Natalie.  This year, she wanted ducks and she is one of the main motivators for our backyard farm's growth.  She takes her work seriously and is in charge of the daily animal chores and distribution of work among herself and siblings. Mom and Dad are very proud of her efforts.  This year; due to the virtual nature of the 4H exhibit hall, the students are limited to three exhibit submissions.  This is her main one, but I will add her other two smaller additions later.  Hint: one is chicken swings.  We will also be posting Jordan's Maple Syrup project and Acadia's Barn cat project soon; so check back.  Please take a moment to comment on her project below.)


Here is Carless checking out the new swing.  This was Alexia’s second project

3 comments:

Erica Miller said...

This is awesome!!!! Congratulations Alexia on raising your ducks :) I was unaware of the part about them not being able to swim without their mom. Cool to know that other species learn the same things we do. Keep up the great work and I can’t wait for your next project! Dr. E

Anonymous said...

You put a lot of work into this! Nice job! ❤️

Anonymous said...

Great Job Alexia��
Kelly D from Greene, ME